June 4, 2012

The art of photography -- what I believe

I've learned a lot over the past year with my new photography endeavor. In June of 2011, I started my photography business. I did many free sessions (to bulk up my portfolio), I did many half price sessions, and I did many crazy off the wall rated sessions. I loved them all equally. And my talent grew through them. If you've been one of those sessions, thank you. You have helped me more than you could ever imagine. You've paid me with more than just money -- you've paid me with the act of allowing me to gain experience through you!

So it has been through my learning and gaining experience that I've changed my rates twice over the past year. I've been paid as little as $20 and as much as $150. Does it mean that the quality of my photography is less for the $20 than it is for the $150? Absolutely not. In every photo I strive to capture your moments perfectly. And if you're not satisfied, I'm definitely not satisfied.

I've had several people ask me why I've just recently, again, changed my rates (with in the past month). My motto has always been that my rates won't be higher than what I, personally, speaking as if I'm a 'non-photographer', can afford. I want to take quality photos for people on every single budget. I want to take photos for people just like me, people who don't have a ton of money to spend on a photo session. In this digital age, I want people to remember the memories, the history, the love of printed photos hanging on their walls through out their home. I want people to remember to take the time and make time for those family photo sessions.....print off your photos, even if you throw them in an old shoe box in the closet. Whatever you do, keep them. They'll be keepsakes for your children or grandchildren one day. They'll be a piece of history that you can enjoy now, and that you might be able to enjoy 90 yrs from now.

Back on track -- yes, I've raised my rates. Why? Because photography is an art. Photography is something that you keep close to your heart. Photography is the only service offered that captures your family, your friends, your wedding day, your memories, the memories that you'll keep around forever. And it's often hard to find a quality photographer to trust your memories with. I've raised my rates because I believe in my service, I believe in my product, and I believe in you. I believe that photography is an art. I believe that not only is that art developed through the camera lens, but also through the 8+ hours of editing after the photo session is over. I believe that my clients deserve the best, and I believe that they appreciate photography just as much as I do. Which is also why I am very willing to work with ALL budgets.

I feel as though there is something to be said of overcharging. I feel that some photographers take advantage of their talent and rip people off. Yes, see, I'm just like you :). But I also feel like there is a multitude of photographers out there who offer top quality photography (yes, just as good as the person who charges a bazillion dollars), and who are willing to work with their clients at a decent rate. Photography rates are something that scare people. I understand, I've been there. But I also know that you can't really put a price tag on your special moments. This is why I feel that my new rates are still reasonable for the quality of my photography, and why I also want all of my clients and potential clients to know that you are special to me, and I am very willing to try and work with everyone, no matter what the budget. It doesn't matter if your budget is small or if the sky is the limit.....everyone, and I mean everyone, deserves quality photography when it comes to their memories. 

Again, thank you all so much for your support over the past year. I appreciate you more than you'll ever know. It makes my heart happy to know that you appreciate my photography and services just as much as I appreciate you. If you ever have any questions, comments, or concerns....please don't hesitate to ask! I'm always available by email or cell. I'm always willing to work with my clients on scheduling, pricing, packages, etc. And I'll be better able to serve you beginning next month when I have a change in my full time job schedule.


Thank you so much, and I look forward to capturing your memories!!
(again, for many of you!!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by Feeric Studios